End-point assessment (EPA) for employers
End-point assessment (EPA) is the name given to a series of assessments an apprentice must take to prove their ability to do the job for which they’ve undertaken training. These assessments take place at the end of an apprenticeship following a period of training and development. Depending on the apprenticeship standard, the apprentices may also be required to achieve other mandatory requirements eg completing a portfolio, achieving level 2 English or maths qualifications. These must be achieved prior to applying for the EPA. At this point the employer, in discussion with the apprentice and training provider, will ‘sign off’ their apprentice as ready for EPA. This is known as the ‘gateway’ to EPA.
EPAs can be undertaken, at a minimum, 12 months after the start of an apprentice’s training. It must be successfully completed before the apprentice receives their completion certificate. Please note that it is very important when issuing employment contracts for an apprentice to include sufficient time beyond the 12-month minimum on training to enable the EPA to take place (including potential re-sits). We are not permitted to assess any apprentice who is no longer employed.
AIM is on the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (IfATE) Register of Apprentice Assessment Organisations (no. EPA0064). We are approved to deliver EPAs for the following apprenticeship standards:
Advertising and Media Executive (level 3)
Broadcast Production Assistant (level 3)
Junior Content Producer (level 3)
Public Relations Communications and Communications Assistant (level 4)
Visual Effects - Assistant Technical Director (level 4)
Visual Effects - Junior 2D artist (level 3)
"Can I just officially say that I LOVE our end-point assessment organisation! They are just so positive and helpful and full of ideas to make things happen.”
Genevieve Potter, Bauer Media
Why choose AIM as your end-point assessment organisation?
- As creative and cultural industry specialists we understand what is required by these industries - we only provide EPAs for occupations where we have expertise.
- As a leading EPAO, we deliver EPAs for SMEs and large blue-chip creative companies.
- Our assessors are current industry practitioners and are fully trained by us in assessment practice.
- AIM is leading research into EPA delivery and improvements: AIM has been awarded two research grants by the Education and Training Foundation to consider effective delivery of EPAs.
- We provide extensive support materials including sample papers and guides for the apprentice, employer and training provider that clearly explain what to expect.
- We are constantly developing our networks with industry and education refining our approach, listening to the voice of industry and the practical needs of providers.
- There are no surprise charges or hidden fees. We charge per apprentice price for each EPA. The only additional cost will be for assessment re-sits or re-takes.
- We offer ‘understanding your EPA’ training sessions to support you and your training provider.
According to the Department for Education
- 71% of apprentices agreed that their chances of earning a higher wage in future had increased
- 80% of apprentices agreed that their chances of progressing to a higher level of training had also increased
- 90% of apprentices will get a job or go into further training after finishing an apprenticeship
- 78% of employers reported improved productivity
- 65% of employers recognise the new ideas apprentices bring to their organisation
- 83% would recommend apprenticeships to other businesses
These facts are available as a downloadable PDF
Find out more
The National Apprenticeship Service has produced a really useful document available to download: Employer guide to apprenticeships (PDF)
If you'd like to speak to us about our apprenticeship EPAs please get in touch